Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I put the fun in funeral?

Much violence is based on the illusion that life is a property to be defended and not to be shared.
- Henri Nouwen

I've been meaning to read some Henri Nouwen for over a year now, ever since I went to a funeral for a friend's father whose life had been changed by Nouwen's writings.

Speaking of funerals, this afternoon I'll attend my third in two weeks.

The circle of life continues... weddings, weddings, everywhere, and not a sec to think.
Three pregnancies and one engagement announced this month in my various worlds of friends, and three funerals. Two of the funerals were for people in their 20's killed by automobiles, the third for a man who served in ministry for many decades.

I felt a moment of shock and realization when I was reflecting upon the fact that several deaths has occurred in the families of people I love this month: this must be a sliver of what its like to live among the communities of the poor, the refugees, the war-torn.

Three families I love are facing death this month, and I am indignant and shocked. Then I realize- in many tribes and towns, three deaths every month or week or even every DAY is the norm, because of attacks, or hunger, or disease.

I think about what's stressing me out today, and it pales in comparison to many others' griefs.

Like my friend Katie P likes to say, I'm the luckiest girl in the whole school.

No comments: