Thursday, July 23, 2009

Girltalk.

This is what the inside of my brain feels like: This is what I'd be wearing today if the world were my closet:
"If you have come to help me, you are wasting your time. But if you have come because your liberation is bound up with mine, then let us work together."

- Lilla Watson, Aboriginal elder, educator, and activist
Dream house will have lots of black decor.
Tufted chair, library, bliss.
Noir and odd. Very Harry Potter.
Ok.

Let's get real: July has had the highest monthly death toll of US soldiers in Afghanistan since the war began 8 years ago. I care in a general, abstract way as an American, I guess. But for one very specific reason, this announcement causes chill bumps on my heart:
He's my (not-so-little) baby brother, and he belongs to the United States Marine Corps. He's not in Afghanistan now, but when he's done with his current tour he may well go there.
If the Secretary of the Navy asks me (I'm waiting by the phone for that call any minute), I'll tell him to send Matt to ride a desk in Cleveland.
Faith and trust are tough:)
-------------------------------------------
In other news, let's get girly:
There are few things more princess-y than turning a spare bedroom into a "dressing room"...
Or Grecian, goddess-y flowing gowns....
Or incredible, luxe home design. This home, apparently somewhere in Dallas, belongs to Samantha Reitmayer , via Design Sponge.
Beautiful.
Would any self-respecting man allow such a feminine aesthetic in his home? Mine, alas, would probably not go for some of the details, but I think this home is gorgeous. While we're at it, I'm also digging her blog, Style Swoon. It's offic. added to the Reader.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Ben might not dig the feminine decor, but what about the creepy dog portrait next to the apothecary jars? Think about it.