Monday, September 7, 2009

Kelly Wearstler. That copper color is growing on me, and we all know how I feel about black high-gloss floors.

 John Bessler. I dream of wide-planked wood floors. I love how the drapes pool.
 
Desire to Inspire. Looks like a perfect place for cozy community.
 
Jennifer Worts, above and below. I love the leaded glass below- but the lead is in white, how interesting.
 
“Humility agrees and is glad that everything we have is a free gift of God, and that this severs the root of boasting in our distinctives. Whatever talents, whatever intelligence, what ever skills, whatever gifts, whatever looks, whatever pedigree, whatever possessions, whatever wit, whatever influence you have, put away all pride because it is a gift, and put away all despair because it is a gift from God.”

- John Piper, Greatness, Humility, Servanthood (via OFI)

Internet Monk makes a really interesting point in his most recent blog post about how in the gospel of Mark, the opposite of faith is not unbelief, but fear. This alone was extremely convicting to me.

He goes on to make the interesting observation that the media, as it continues to grow and become increasingly competitive, is frenzied to get attention, influence, and viewers, and that one way it does this is to engender a state of perma-crisis. Everything becomes a giant crisis now that needs immediate live coverage, viewer polls, and analysis from a large panel of experts.

I like cable news. I watch a lot of it. More than an hour a day, I'd say. When it comes to fear, and my Lord's loving instruction to fear nothing, but to cast all my anxieties on him, what effect does my heavy, steady diet of crises have? I think you can guess whether all that news makes me more or less anxious, more or less peaceful. I would never in a million years advocate sticking our heads in the sand or being uninformed- the past is prologue, after all, but still.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

great room ideas! :)

Katie said...

Thanks Lauren!