Friday, April 17, 2009

The practice of peace and reconciliation is one of the most vital and artistic of human actions.- Thich Nhat Hanh

Why is it that I can cry and be filled with compassion over a YouTube video of children I will never meet, but hate and be filled with stubborn judgment/ pride toward people in my very own life? Actual dear friends, or even family?
________________________
Today, I increased my contribution to our 403b. This amazing calculator from Yahoo Finance tells me that if I increased my contribution to my retirement savings by just $100 more dollars per month, in 40 years I would have 1 MILLION more dollars than if I left it the same.

Compound interest is the coolest thing around!
________________________
I have the most thoughtful mentor in the whole world.
Really. Here's how I know:

1. She went on a week-long vacation to Europe to visit her military sister, and brought me back monogrammed lace from Belgium.

2. She knows Ben and I are trying out a cash budget (due to our recent conversion to worship of Dave Ramsey, personal finance guru), so she tells me that she has prayed for me every single time she's seen a dollar bill this week.

3. She knows I adore salsa, so she emails me the following recipe, via the DMN and the Dean of SMU's Engineering School:

Geoffrey Orsak's King Ranch Salsa

Ingredients:
2 cloves garlic2 jalapeƱos, stemmed and halved (seeds included), or to taste1 small (tangerine-sized) white onion, quartered1 (14.5-ounce) can of good-quality whole tomatoes, drained¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil2 to 3 tablespoons of white vinegar2 teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste (if you substitute table salt, use less)

Directions:
In a food processor, mince garlic and jalapeƱos. Add onion and process just until roughly chopped. Add tomatoes and process until not quite smooth — you want the salsa to retain some texture.
Mix in olive oil, 2 tablespoons of vinegar and salt. Taste and add more vinegar if necessary. Let sit for a few hours. Salsa will hold nicely in the refrigerator for two weeks.

Have a happy weekend friends. I'll be on Children's Retreat with our church, hanging out with 5th graders in the rain....

No comments: